Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fill the Void


TOP 10 BREAK-UP SONGS TO HEAL

Heartbreak is really hard and easy to dwell on.  It is easy to remember all the good times, to miss your lover, and ache all over.  In the beginning I had tremendous difficulty avoiding the spiral of thoughts about my ex.  And it was a spiral – I would think about him, miss him, miss the memories, feel overwhelmed by the future, feel incredibly alone, panic would set in…and so I realized I need to fight this spiral because it was taking me down.

One of the most obvious effects from a divorce is that you are suddenly alone.  All those car rides together are suddenly taken alone.  Trips to the grocery store – alone.  Walks through the city – alone.  And in this alone time it is easy to let the negative voices inside your head win.

The best thing for me was to just not think about him.  Fill the void of silence so that my thoughts would not wander to him.  I found a few great songs that I played over and over and over again throughout my break-up.  Some throwbacks, some more current, but here is my heartbreak list cure

1.      Hold On For One More Day – Wilson Phillips

2.      I Will Survive  - Aretha Franklin

3.      Stronger – Kelly Clarkson

4.      Carry on  - Strong

5.      Man of the Hour – Norah Jones

6.      Roar – Katy Perry

7.      Walk like a Man – Frankie Valli

8.      Folsom Prison Blues/ I walk the Line – Johnny Cash *(any Johnny can soothe the soul)

9.      Swing, Swing, Swing – All American Rejects

10.  Chip on your shoulder – Legally Blonde ;)

For me, the words of these songs suddenly seemed more powerful and I felt better each time I sang about moving on.  I held onto these lyrics as mantras throughout the day.  I played them on repeat while in the shower.

In your quiet times, it is only natural for your wind to wander to your ex and it takes an effort to avoid those thoughts.  I remember the mornings where I sat in the shower and cried my eyes out terrified of what the day would bring and paralyzed by sadness.  These songs helped me to move forward and keep going despite the ever burning urge to quit.  Make your own lists, share some other songs, but whatever you do fill the void of silence!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment