Tuesday, May 6, 2014

We broke up.


I want “that.”

                  After a few days of a drastic phase out from Mr. Intellect – slow responses to text messages, no more snap chats, no more phone calls, I quickly went into panic mode.  While I was not in love with Mr. Intellect, I still hate endings and I hate uncertainty.  The pure unknown of it all was giving me massive anxiety and I suddenly felt like I was flailing my arms for his attention.

                  I finally asked him to call me.  We spoke for about ten minutes, small talk with lots of laughing, and then the conversation grew quiet.  I pushed forward – “What’s going on with us?  I feel like you are pulling back and suddenly becoming distant.  If you don’t want to date me anymore, just tell me that.  Just say, I don’t want to date you anymore.  But you and I, Mr. Intellect, handle uncomfortable situations all the time with work and for 8 months have been entirely honest with each other, so just tell me if that is what you want.”

                “I want that.”  - Mr. Intellect, the communication major, was suddenly without words.  I was sad immediately and I am the emotional type, so I stifled some tears.  On the other hand, I was ready for this.  I had anticipated this.  It logically made sense, he was 90 minutes away in NYC and I was content as can be in Philadelphia.
                  
               With my new sense of maturity and confidence, I knew I didn’t want things to end with this weird conversation and me stifling tears.  I knew from the phase out this was coming and I knew he and I were way better and too mature for a simple phase out.
I took a deep breath and poured my heart.  I thank Mr. Intellect for everything he had done for me and told him I felt more whole now than when I began this relationship.  He had helped me rebuild my confidence and if I was completely honest, he had helped me come to better terms with my divorce and get over my ex.  He was such a wonderfully kind mature man, I was certain I could never date anyone under 30 ever again.  And gosh, he was sexy.  His muscles made me weak in the knees and I was so happy to have all of the fond memories that made my prior relationship look utterly unsatisfying in stark comparison. 

                He was really surprised with my kind words.  He said I was the nicest person he had ever broken up with and he really even hated ending things.  He confessed he had wanted to end things ever since he moved in March but each time we hung out it ended up being so fun that he didn’t have the nerve to call it off.  In this regard, I think he did me wrong.  He let me believe we had a future and even made plans to celebrate our birthdays together all the while knowing he was waiting to break up with me. 

                Mr. Intellect told me he had never dated anyone with such a pure kind soul and was confident I would exceed all expectations in my professional career.  He entered our relationship still caught on his ex and dealing with his own emotional struggles, and felt like I helped in along the way.  He felt more alive now than ever and thanked me for waking up parts of his body and soul.  He would certainly miss me but knew that with his love for NYC and my love for Philadelphia, it was better to end things before one of us got really hurt.

               I was feeling great about the conversation.  We both had given the other closure and praise. And then he asked, “Are you going to be okay, dear?”

              I suddenly couldn’t muffle the tears.  I couldn’t find the words to respond.  I took deep breaths but still had nothing intelligent to say back.  I laughed at my own emotional state and told him of course I would be okay but not today and maybe not tomorrow.  He had raised the standards for me in my life of what I want in a long term mate and I couldn’t deny a feeling of anxiety that I would never meet someone who would hold me so tight and loved cuddling more than me. 

             He laughed.  You are one of kind my dear and you will find someone who does all those things and more and at least likes Philadelphia ;).

              I don’t regret a thing about the relationship.  It was exactly what I needed when I needed it.  I am sad but not heart broken.  I am generally just bummed about the end but in my own way relieved of the burden of continuously driving up to NYC.  Summer has arrived and Philadelphia has endless possibilities of entertainment and fun.

              I will miss him though.  In the 3rd snowiest winter of Philadelphia, he was my warm blanket.  He got me through my most dreaded season, he distracted me through another set of holidays single, and helped me regain my confidence.  I tried so many new things and feel like I’ve learned so much about myself in the process.

            When I first started dating again, my only goal was to date.  Just to get out there and meet new people and try new things.  I exceeded my goals.  I did so much more than that – I allowed myself to become vulnerable, I opened up to another person, I trusted another person, and I really finally got over my dumb lame man-child of an ex-husband.  I was honest with my feelings, I maintained my independence, I never chose Mr. Intellect over any of my friends, and I continued to put friends and family first. 

It’s over but I am going to be okay and now back to the dating scene. (who knows maybe my blog will become more interesting;)). 


P.s.  This article pretty much sums up exactly how I felt when people gave me these “comforting” words. http://thoughtcatalog.com/almie-rose/2014/04/5-things-you-absolutely-do-not-say-to-someone-who-just-got-dumped/

No comments:

Post a Comment