Saturday, May 31, 2014

A more positive outlook

21 Day Challenge

              I’m taking the 21 day challenge!  Well, a modified version if you will.  This idea stems from Shawn Anchor awesome Ted talk (check out link below) where he argues we can train our brains to see the positives in things. 

http://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_achor_the_happy_secret_to_better_work

          He discusses the general view of happiness as something we will have once we achieve a benchmark – a better education, job, house, condo, a better relationship, more friends, more billable hours, more money – but once we achieve it, we move the bar again by thinking what we must now achieve to be happy.  I am so guilty of constantly moving the benchmark.  I am happy I met my hours, but what if I could bill more?  Instead of taking time to celebrate my achievement, I am already thinking of the next goal.  This can set you up for a life of disappointment and dissatisfaction. 
Anchor’s idea’s really resonated with me and he has had much success teaching his strategies in business across the world. 
Below is my 21 day challenge starting today.  I will keep you posted of the results ;)
1                           1. Write down three new things you are grateful for each day. 
2                           2. Write for 2 minutes a day describing one positive experience you had over the past 24 hours.
·          This strategy helps transform you from a task based thinking to a meaning based thinker who scans the world for meaning rather than end of to-do list.
3                         3.   Meditate for 2 minutes
·         Focus on breathing going in and out.
4                        4. Write one quick email/text first thing in the morning thank or praising someone in your life.

         From June 1 – June 21 I am going to try this every day! My modified approach is going to be text/typing my 3 new things I am grateful and moment a day.  I know writing is better but some days I just won’t make it to my journal.  I am really hoping that by the end, I am trained to see more beauty in life and can further develop a positive outlook.  

In the words of Shawn Anchor, not only will this “create ripples of positive but create a real revolution.”




1 comment:

  1. I love this! I started writing 5-10 things I am grateful for (almost) every week day since March and it's transforming my view of life. I do the same with benchmarks :) we are GOAL setters and getters. It's our nature but we can also make it our nature to be content with life as it is.

    ReplyDelete