Thursday, September 26, 2013

My First Date....


MY FIRST DATE….in a really long time

To say I was nervous for this date would be a severe understatement.  The walk towards the wine and cheese bar we had chosen was filled with queezy nausea feelings.  Immediately my mind travels to my ex and the decisions he has made.  Why am I even dating again?  Why can’t I just be married?  How the hell am I suppose to start this all over again?  In an attempt to keep those feelings remised, I quickly throw in my headphones and relied on one of my go to break-up songs and send a few last minute nervous texts to my best friends.  At least I loved my outfit.....

 

And then I arrived and wow he was cute.  Really CUTE!  Our initial interactions were easy and flowed so much better than I had expected.  We sat down to a table and quickly ordered wine.  As I described myself, my life, and my past activities, I was suddenly filled with an indescribable feeling.  PRIDE.  I was actually proud of my accomplishments, my achievements and the stature I had achieved in my life. 

I realized I LOVE first dates, relying on much of my educational training and career experience, this first date flowed similar to a successful interview.  The more wine, the more I chatted telling funny stories of my past, explaining my job, and going into endless details about my co-workers.  (Note – I also realized I talk a lot! Add in three glasses of wine, and I can barely keep my mouth shut).

Mr. Intellect (#D1) was great.  He was tall, handsome, and athletic.  He kept good eye-contact throughout the date.  He was educated, well spoken and interesting.  He quickly put me at ease and was obviously entertained by unearthly inability to stop talking!  He had all the right moves!  Being that we met online, I was a little weary of letting him know too much personal information about myself. But after three glasses of wine, three hours of talking, and a nice walk towards my neighborhood, I invited him to join me in walking my puppy for his evening stroll.  He quickly agreed. (Bonus points for him liking my puppy ;)

Since our first date, he has texted and called.  Date two is on the horizon.  The most refreshing thing about Mr. Intellect so far is his maturity.  My ex was a man child and our courting all occurred on a graduate school budget. 

Mr. Intellect is definitely a man so it is time to start stepping up my womanly skills.  Goals for the week are finding the perfect date 2 outfit and making my apartment acceptable for a man’s review;)

The biggest take away from my first date is that dating is FUN.  Dating is meant to be FUN.  Albeit a constant struggle, but if I can remain in the moment and appreciate things for what they are, I have the opportunity for potential growth and happiness.  My ex was awful but at least he gave me the chance to go out and meet someone who does appreciate me!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment