Thursday, November 21, 2013

What comes next?

                                              Status Update with Mr. Intellect
 
Things with Mr. Intellect and I are progressing into some sort of unspoken relationship.  We date consistently and exclusively but have avoided adding a title to this situation.  There are so many things that I do enjoy about Mr. Intellect yet at the same time there are things holding me back from fully plunging into a relationship.

First, the positives – Mr. Intellect is the most mature person I have ever dated.  He has a challenging career and is very much an emotional and people person.  He rarely arrives at a date empty handed and is constantly spoiling me with flowers, chocolates, and bottles of wine.  He is easy to talk to and well spoken.  We both have a passion for words and stories and he keeps me on my toes intellectually when we are together. Plus along with being the most mature, he is also the most fit person I’ve date.  Mr. Intellect is a total cross fit junkie and has an intensely sculpted body overflowing with muscles in every location. 

Now you ask, well what on earth could be the problem?  We typically date once a week which for Mr. Intellect is not nearly enough time despite us living about twenty minutes apart and each having demanding careers.  So here is the current pattern.  We hang out and have a great time together.  There may be one or two things he does during that time that agitated me or annoy me, but most of the time I keep that to myself.  We separate and I am left feeling giddy for about the first 24-48 hours and then I start to get inside my head. 

 I’ve been trying to down play my feelings for Mr. Intellect.  I remain guarded and have said if this ends I will feel bummed but will not cry.  I haven’t quite allowed myself to feel that major emotional connection and am worried about becoming dependent on his attention.  I know all too well how quickly a relationship can end and the pain that come from trying to mend yourself after you gave pieces of your heart away to another person.

That said, it is becoming more and more obvious that I am enjoying my time with Mr. Intellect.  He has me checking my phone multiple times a day and anxious for a new text or snapchat.  Let me tell you, this alone drives me insane.  I do not want to be all anxious and distracted about whether I am or am not receiving messages from some guy – albeit amazing or not.  I am going to keep trying but with every positive experience comes another wall for me that has to come down.

I’ve never dated like this before and I do not intend to end it just yet.  My motto remains do know harm.  I’ve been the most authentic version of myself that I am capable of being and have been entirely transparent with my fears of trust and commitment.  I am not entirely sure what I am looking for and I am not entirely sure if Mr. Intellect would fulfill those needs.  But for the time being, can’t a girl just accept flowers and lovely dates with stimulating conversation and not overanalyze the future? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment