Monday, February 17, 2014

Man of the Hour


 
Meet Benny

To complete enjoy some of the humor and predicaments that I’ve had with my new romance, I must first introduce the man that steals my heart on a daily basis, my dog Benjamin.

Benny is an eighteen month old cocker spaniel.  I am an animal lover and have wanted to get a dog since I graduated college.  With the strains of law school and then the rapid demise of my marriage, no time had ever presented itself to make this major decision.  After I separated from my husband, I was so lonely.  I craved his warm body.  I wanted companionship. 

After the initial trauma had worn off and I moved back to Philadelphia in a place of my own, I began to contemplate getting another dog.  At that time, I was still very untrusting, recuse, and still insanely indecisive.  This decision would last 8-12 years if I was lucky and it was not something I entered into quickly.  No joke – I spent two hours with my therapist weighing the pros and cons before committing to get a dog.  Finally, she advised me that I love to love and would be so happy with the constant unconditional love a dog offered.  Besides she laughed, some of her best relationships had been with the familial dog.

My divorce papers arrived on a Monday and by that Thursday I had found Benny’s adorable soft and cuddly face online.  He was living 4 hours away but there was no doubt in my mind those eight pounds of cuteness would make me smile every morning.  Saturday my mom, brother and I made the trek to the country lands and Amish country in Pennsylvania.  The entire drive I shouted various names out to decide what would suit this little love creature.  I knew it had to be a man’s name.  I needed a man to love me after all and already envisioned all the creative hashtags that would work better with a real name verses some animal name.
 
As soon as I saw that little guy with mischief in his eyes there was no doubt in my mind he was a Benjamin.  And so began my journey with Benny and our loving relationship.  Benny quickly adjusted from farm life to city living.  We conquered potty training in just two months despite the long elevator ride of nine floors and first real tree being over a block away.  My kind neighbors and elevator friends laughed when he peed on their shoes and smiled as he licked their legs endlessly.  His happy trot on busy streets always made me laugh  - rain, sleet or snow.

Prior to getting Benny, I could walk my neighborhood and never speak to a single soul.  Benny is nothing but personality.  He quickly made friends with local construction workers who after weeks of morning greetings were soon bringing him treats for breakfast.  It wasn’t long before he had more than one homeless friend who enjoyed the sweet loving kisses from Mr. B.   He was friends with ballerinas, barristers, truck drivers, college kids, retired men, and bouncers.  In just a few weeks, I found myself forced backed into society and no longer able to spend my days in tears.  Plus it was just impossible not to laugh at Benny’s energy and excitement. And his eyes - he has the beautiful eyes.


I am a major cuddle monster.  I love to snuggle, I love to cuddle, I need to touch – I’ve read the books, call me a golden retriever kind of lover, physical touch is my love language – put straight, I never get tired of rubbing up close!  No surprise then my puppy became my favorite snuggle bug.  Although he went from eight pounds to thirty three, he has always been encouraged in my bed.  I love when he nudges my legs in his sleep or comes up close on cold nights. 
 
Simply put, this little guy does not wrong in my eye and can go anywhere in my apartment.  We spend long hours watching movies and tv that first winter.  We learned different games and developed habits he still does to this day.  He loves to play hide and seek and can chase a ball over and over again.  He loves to share a bag of popcorn and is always up for a short jog.  He likes to sit on my feet - while I blow dry my hair, while I work, while we ride the elevator - always close me .


To his credit, he is wonderfully behaved.  He rides solo while I am at work and takes long naps on his comfortable bed.  He never causes mischief, he doesn’t bark, and he is so not into chewing anything that isn’t his.  He rarely has accidents in the house and doesn’t eat food that isn’t his.

But Benny is a brute!  He has such a personality and he loves me more than life itself.  He doesn’t know any commands other than sit which he will only do if it promises a treat – not because you want him to.  He walks on his leash but he is very easily distracted by skateboarders, loud cars, butterflies, blowing leaves, other dogs, and anything else that may catch his eager eyes attention.  He doesn’t understand boundaries and hates to be alone.

Prior to Mr. Intellect, Benny was the only man in my life.  My friend once told me the Norah Jones “Man of the Hour” reminded her of me and B.  Since then, I love to serenade by little friend in the mornings when we wake up.  Simply put, Benny is extremely important to me.  He is the last thing I say good night to before I sleep, and the first thing I get to wake up in the morning.  He is good to me.  He protects me.  He makes me smile and never makes me cry.  He does no wrong in my eyes and I am entirely blinded by my love for him. 

 
Maybe you can tell what’s coming, but Benny and Mr. Intellect didn’t quite fit together so seamlessly...and well Benny isn’t going anywhere….these puppy eyes are just too much to handle.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment